Sunday, August 7, 2011

Life

photo courtesy of Debbie Lee Photography
http://www.debbieleephotography.com
Since my last blog was for yesterday, here goes one for today.

The past 2 months have been a challenge for me.  Lack of sleep, juggling two different life stages (infant and toddler), letting my body recover, and countless other new challenges.  At times I have felt very isolated and not really comfortable with the transition.  In the midst of all of this, time is flying and the new school year is coming up insanely fast.

I have had a variety of pity parties for myself over the past 2 months, but today our speaker at church reminded me to think differently.  The woman who spoke had acid thrown on her face several years ago and is blind.  She has had several surgeries and has partially regained sight, then lost it 4 times.  She has walked down paths that I will most likely never walk down, yet she stands firm in her faith.

For her, the current suffering she is experiencing does not overshadow the truth of whom she is putting her faith in.  She sees the bigger picture of life and her purpose and can trust God with what she does not understand.

In reality, my current circumstances are not the end of the world.  There are many people who would gladly lose the sleep because they desperately want to have a child.  The isolation I feel is temporary.  God has given me a new job of caring for another new life.  My priorities need to be in line with that.  I need to focus on the task of raising these boys to fear God and to honor him with their lives.  It is a huge responsibility and one that I have been entrusted to undertake. 

I know that while I am not looking forward to going back to work and all that entails, God is going there with me.  He has provided me with a job that allows me to touch the lives of school aged children and impact their lives.  I also have wonderful colleagues whom I can pray for and support, not to mention a great teaching partner which allows me to be home part of the time with my family.

As I move into the next school year I need to remember to practice gratitude for the blessings I have.  I also need to remember to focus on the words of my favorite hymn which were so kindly brought to my attention this morning.

Because Helives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future.
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Beautiful post Amy. It is definitely a time of transition when you add another person into your lives. Two little ones is very much a challenge because they each have such strong needs. And we lose ourselves in tending to their needs. Your faith is strong and inspiring. And you are right, God is with you. Always. Things will get easier (or maybe a little more settled) and once work rolls around, you will find a way to add it to the mix. I'll pray for you. It is no easy task what you have before you. I think you are doing a fine job. :)

The Fesslers said...

loved this post--so real. love you friend.

Unknown said...

Amy you have moved me to TEARS with this post. You are (and always have been) an EXCEPTIONAL PERSON. I brought you into this world and watched all the stages of your wonderful life (so far). You are an amazing person, a wonderful Mother and a Godly wife. You are doing a fantastic job with your two precious little boys and we are so very proud of you!!! These stages in life offer their own set of challenges and rewards, which you are figuring out as you go on. I know you aren't looking forward to returning to work, I didn't either, so put your best foot forward and do what you do so very well. We are always here if you need us....Love, Mom